About The Festival
Post Office Box 50123 – Midwest City, OK 73140
- Tel: 877-415-7258
- Fax: 877-485-3554
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Soul Food Festival is an inviting event that highlights the aroma of traditional soul food cooking in the air while bringing together families and friends in an outdoor social setting for a day of reunion, information and live national award winning entertainment. The purpose of the festival is to create platforms from which the general public can come and retrieve life changing knowledge as it relates to Health & Wellness, Technology, Family Intervention, Financial Literacy, Professional Career Building and Workforce development.
The festival provides complimentary vending space to those professionals who have an interest in providing complimentary service and or information in any of the above mention categories. The Festival also provides complimentary tickets to various community resource agencies with particular focus on battered women.
The method of promoting the Soul Food Festival is to present National Award Winning Entertainment at low ticket pricing in order to reach the capacity of the facility which in turn guarantees an audience from which we can introduce empowering information. With expenses in excess of $200,000 per event, the success of The Soul Food Festival has always been contingent on Sponsors, Media Partners, Donations and the authorization to sell concessions. Such participation brings the festival closer to their goal of breaking even, while educating the community.
Other ways in which The Soul Food Festival impact the community is as follows:
- Employment – The festival employs over 200 community citizens to assist in the areas of staging, sound & lights, event staffing, transportation, street promotions, security, EMS, clean up, etc.
- Information Booths – Promoting awareness in the field of education, nutrition, housing, health and professional career building
- Economic Impact – The festival impact all surrounding businesses to include department stores, grocery stores, hotels, gas stations, beauty and barber shops, car rentals agencies and many other City attractions.
- Affordable ticket prices – $0 – $60
- Local Participation – Many of the local Restaurants & Businesses would have an opportunity to participate as food vendors at the event or advertised as ticket outlets in which they will receive $2 per ticket sold.
- Musical therapy for the mind, body and soul- Music is the universal language and plays such an important and meaningful role in the lives of many people. Experts on health and welfare suggest that music entertainment could be prescribed as a treatment because of the enormous positive impact it has on mental health and well-being. According to Music and Health: Current Developments in Research and Practice, music has been used to support those suffering from Dementia and/or brain injuries by mental health service providers around the world. In the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, Dr.’s Choi, Lee and Lim, conducted a pilot study to determine whether group music therapy is effective in improving depression, anxiety and relationships in psychiatric patients. They found that both active involvement (participating in playing of the instruments) and passive involvement (attending a music festival) provided a calming effect and invited the patients to visualize reassuring thoughts producing a state of mental relaxation. Numerous scholarly journal articles highlight the positive effects of music therapy. Used in various settings with different patient types, entertainment has been shown to reduce anxiety, relieve tension, alleviate stress and enhance one’s mood.